The Norfolk Wherry Trust purchased 80mm quarter sawn oak from us in order to make replacement winch posts for the Wherry Albion. The above image shows the refurbished metalwork with the new winch posts (although the majority of the posts are below the deck level).
Originally built as a cargo carrying sailing barge The Albion, a Norfolk Wherry was rescued by The Norfolk Wherry Trust in 1949. Maintained in sailing condition by volunteers, her vast black sail and hull measure some 60’ long by 15’ wide. Constructed mainly of oak she plied her trade along the River Waveney. Known as the ‘black sailed trader’ she is one of only two remaining trading barges built specifically for the Broads.
Launched in October 1988 at a cost of £455.00 she was commissioned for the firm of Bungay Malsters specifically to navigate the inland waterways of Norfolk and Suffolk. She provided the means to transport all manner of goods from village to village and port to port.